Thursday, March 31, 2011

Mama nose.

My husband thinks I'm crazy.  I sometimes agree.

Something interesting happened to me when we conceived our son.  For the first time in my life, I had a keen sense of smell.  One would think that's a given- those who have met me know that my nose is out there a ways... a nice legacy of native American, German, and English heritage sloping off my face, but no- usually it was mildly stuffy and missed plenty of things.  It was sudden.  I went to bed one night perfectly fine, oblivious to the world of scents and was quite fine with that.  The next morning, thanks to the hormones, I could smell the dog two floors beneath us.  Or maybe just her bed in the corner of our room.  Then my husband put on cologne, and I thought my head would explode.  Then I arrived at work and was greeted by a cacophony of smells- body sprays, lotions, air fresheners, colognes, foods, dust, moldy office carpet, computers, printers, and a weird smoky smell that apparently I was the only one able to pick up... I smelled that alllll 39 weeks.

Now I'm 15.5 months postpartum.  I still have a sense of smell like no other.  It's like a bizarre evolutionary characteristic.  I'm sure that at some point in the distant past when we were all living in caves and grunting at each other that this was a useful means of detecting whether a food source was going to help or harm one's offspring, but in our new and modern world... maybe not as necessary?

I love it sometimes though... I can tell about 30 seconds before my son gets upset about his diaper that it's wet.  I can easily pinpoint what's gone funky in the fridge without much effort.  I can tell my husband has been eating fast food before dinner (occasionally he stops for a 'snack' after class), and what he had to eat.  I no longer have to measure aromatic spices for things like spaghetti, pumpkin pie, chili, tacos, or oatmeal raisin cookies because I can go by smell.  I successfully discovered also that my husband had loosely connected the gas line on our stove when he installed it, it had passed the bubble test but still had a small, slow leak.

I am also not a fan of this superpower some days... like when my husband insists on putting fabric softener in the laundry, or wear cologne like he used to- I just prefer the smell of him, not covered in 'stuff'.  I can smell my mother-in-law's perfume/air-freshener/laundry detergent/fabric softener combo when I walk in the door on the days she watches E... and can smell her on him for hours after she goes home.  I am very sensitive to perfumes and some of them are quite nauseating still.

Anyone else deal with this?  Does it ever go away?

No comments:

Post a Comment