Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I made cookies... you can too!

Tonight, I made my own lactation cookies.  My own recipe.  I'm kinda proud and want to share because they're tasty and I'm thinking someone out there somewhere could use it.  They have no name, they're just my version of something that was already awesome- oatmeal raisin cookies!

You're probably skeptical.  You're probably thinking, "cookies, lady? Really? You're gonna make more milk by eating cookies... I dunnnno."  For me, it's working.  (along with my tea, my capsules, gallons of water, enough sleep, co-sleeping, frequent nursing/pumping, stuffing calories all day... this replaces my bowl of oatmeal and milled flax every night!)

*Oatmeal and molasses can help boost iron, which we all need as women, but more so as pregnant or nursing women (I'm only nursing, so don't anyone get too excited!), because our bodies are doing so much for our little ones as well as all of the amazing things we do for ourselves and our partners.

*Flax is a great fiber source that can help lower cholesterol, which is great for your heart and other parts... somehow by moving things along with more fiber our bodies make more milk.

*Brewers yeast gives you a boost to your B vitamin content which can boost your mood, energy, and not surprisingly with those you might also be making more milk!

*Calories in general are something we all need if we're going to make milk.  This has calories.  This also tastes good.  So, good calories.... there you go.

The recipe:
lactation cookies, my version: 
1C honey, 1 C brown sugar, 1/2 C butter, 1/2 C peanut butter, 1 or 2 T blackstrap molasses, 2T brewers yeast, 2 eggs, 1t vanilla, 2 C flour, 2 or 3 T milled flaxseed, 1t baking soda, 3C oats, 1 C raisins (or chocolate chips... or craisins, etc), 4T water.

Mix flax and water, set aside for a few minutes.

Mix wet ingredients + butter, then add soggy flax.

Mix in dry ingredients, then oatmeal, then raisins or other edible shrapnel you might want to toss in there.
Bake 8-12 minutes at 375 degrees fahrenheit.

You can also add ground fenugreek if you're into that. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment